The 2014 MWG conference committee has decided to extend the deadline for the Sponsor and Chapter contests until March 15, 2014. So, whether you write short stories in YA, Sci/Fi, fantasy, humor, or on any topic, put the finishing touches on your manuscript and send it in! Or pen an inspirational essay or turn our judges on their ear with a flash fiction story.
1. Flash Fiction (Sponsored by Saturday Writers): Max 500 words
2. Inspirational Essay (Sponsored by: Saturday Writers): Max 2500 words
3. Young Adult (YA) Short Story (Sponsored by Southeast Missouri Writers’ Guild): 2,500 words or less
4. Short Story (Sponsored by Southeast Missouri Writers’ Guild): Max 2000 words
5. Free Verse Poem (Sponsored by St. Louis Writers Guild)
1. Humorous Short Story (Sponsored by Joanna Dale): 1,000 –2,000 words.
2. Science Fiction and Fantasy Bonanza Short Story Contest (Sponsored by Walrus Publishing): 1,000-6,000 words.
Check the "2014 Conference Contests" link at left for complete details about entry rules.
Our bookstore this year will be managed by the St. Louis Literary Consortium. This group has agreed to handle all books by MWG members and chapter members, and by non-member conference attendees who have paid the additional fee to have their books sold at the conference. They will handle all books, whether traditionallly published, co-op published, or self-published. And best of all, they will be hosting the bookstore from Friday through Sunday in order to give attendees the maximum possible time to sell their books. They will also be accepting credit card payments for books.
But in order to defray the costs of staffing the bookstore and absorbing the credit card fees, the consortium will be charging a 20 percent consignment fee on the retail price of the books. Depending on your wholesale cost for your books, this fee may be more or less than the consignment fee you would be charged at a retail bookstore. But we at the Guild want to make sure that writers are fully informed of the costs of bookselling before they decide whether or how many books to bring.
Nonmembers who have already paid the fee to sell books at the conference, but who would like to reconsider, may contact the Conference Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Missouri Writers' Guild board members spent the day at the recent Missouri Library Association convention promoting MWG members' books and handing out CDs with ordering information. Here's Janet Bettag, member of the board, with some of the Writers' Guild brochures and gift items. It was a great day for Missouri writers!